Kim's Reviews > I've Got Your Number

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella

Apr 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: made-me-smile, made-me-laugh

This book was definitely a fresh breath after a marathon of too-perfect, swoony and empty-headed romance novels.
What strikes me about Kinsella's way of writing is how she loves to pick fun at her female lead. Here, Poppy is placed in the most embarrassing situations, the only way she can get out of it with her honour intact is to drop dead. No kidding. I haven't read Kinsella's more famous Confessions of a Shopaholic, but from what I get out of the movie, the female lead also gets the same deal. I mean, a sadist as I am, I don't possibly have a heart of stone to actually find Poppy's fiascos really that entertaining.
(Not that the male lead Sam is in any better fate, but Poppy sure suffers the brunt of Kinsella's tempers.)
I loved the book's plot. It's different, it's entertaining, and it definitely isn't predictable. For once I was left to surprises. But honestly, some parts border on the unrealistic. Like where the most threatening and well-planned of crimes can be foiled by a stroke of luck, or serendipity. Oh please.
To a certain extent, I didn't like Kinsella's way of using footnotes in her narrative, though I did find it creative. It just kinda made me lose the momentum of the flow of the story. But this is a minor point.
I loved Kinsella's use of text messages in the story. I always thought that love-letters by the royal mail were quaint and hence romantic, but heck did Kinsella prove me wrong. For a person like Sam to have never/rarely reply/correspond to his friends' and collegues mails, he sure does a heck of a job whenever he chooses to do it properly.
On the whole, this book was a great, light read. I read it in one sitting.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Got Your Number.