Grace's Reviews > The Uncertain Places

The Uncertain Places by Lisa Goldstein

Apr 24, 12

Read in April, 2012

I liked this much, much better than "Tender Morsels". I liked the atmosphere, the framing (it's told retrospectively by a middle-aged man), the setting (the 70s, California), the fairy tales bound by fae rules. This book felt fleshed-out to me.

I won't spoil anything, but this is a man telling the tale of his college romance, and the strange reclusive family his girlfriend belongs to. It's lovely to come across a book where two different worlds have been side-by-side for so long, and when the young man tries to intercede, not everyone agrees with him. There's a history with the fae world and how it's influencing our world.

I know I'm being vague here, but it's because I really don't want to spoil the way the tale unfolds. This isn't a groundbreaking book, I wouldn't say - but it does have an intriguing rhythm all of its own. Have you ever rented a house or stayed in a hotel and opened a door to a closet or a room that wasn't meant to be accessible to guests? I once did that and discovered an entire room full of exquisite, child-sized baroque furniture. It was like stepping into another world, both weird and thrilling. That's the same feeling I got while reading this book.

If you like the real, old-school fairy tales, try this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Uncertain Places.