Ellen Girardeau Kempler's Reviews > Zen in the Art of Writing

Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: to-read, gold-boat-books

Somehow I missed reading this handbook for writers from an inspirational creative voyager. I'm hoping to read some of his books again this summer, and this is on the top of my list. Here's a link to my tribute to Bradbury, libraries and books on our Ship's Log. http://www.gold-boat.com/boatful-o-bo...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zen in the Art of Writing.

Quotes Ellen Liked

Ray Bradbury
“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”

Ray Bradbury
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”

Ray Bradbury
“What are the best things and the worst things in your life, and when are you going to get around to whispering or shouting them?”
Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing: Essays on Creativity

Ray Bradbury
“In your reading, find books to improve your color sense, your sense of shape and size in the world.”
Ray Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing: Essays on Creativity

Ray Bradbury
“Every morning I jump out of bed and step on a landmine. The landmine is me. After the explosion, I spend the rest of the day putting the pieces together.”

Ray Bradbury
“Ours is a culture and a time immensely rich in trash as it is in treasures.”

Ray Bradbury
“And what, you ask, does writing teach us? First and foremost, it reminds us that we are alive and that it is a gift and a privilege, not a right.”

Ray Bradbury
“You grow ravenous. You run fevers. You know exhilarations. You can't sleep at night, because your beast-creature ideas want out and turn you in your bed. It is a grand way to live.”

Ray Bradbury
“That's the great secret of creativity. You treat ideas like cats: you make them follow you.”

Ray Bradbury
“We have our Arts so we won't die of Truth”
tags: art, truth

Ray Bradbury
“Write. Don't think. Relax.”