Maureen E's Reviews > The Saturdays

The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright

The Saturdays is one of those books that I read over and over again when I was younger. Like Swallows and Amazons, it had a family doing adventurous things that I would never have the chance to, partly because of the accidents of location. (Believe me, I tried to make up for it–remind me to tell you how I made my sister pretend to be Nancy and Peggy Blackett with me.) Anyway, the Melendys were always an enchanting family. Despite being the oldest, and therefore having a great deal of sympathy for Mona, it was Randy I always loved the best.

The Melendys’ story continues on from The Saturdays through Four Story Mistake, And Then There were Five, and Spiderweb for Two. But here we first make the acquaintance of Mona, Rush, Randy, and Oliver. Then there is the supporting cast: Father, Cuffy (housekeeper), Isaac (the dog), and Mrs. Elephant. I always loved the idea of the book too: the children pool their pocket money and then each have one Saturday to do something delightful.

The Melendys aren’t cookie-cutter children, by any stretch of the imagination. They do things that turn out to be disastrous (and disastrously funny), all with the best intentions. But they are also one of the literary families whom it is a delight to know. I hope that someday I can introduce my own children to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Saturdays.