Shannon's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: teen-lit

I should probably start by saying that I'm a high school teacher (not a teen reader) - I like to be able to make recommendations to my students about 'what to read' and I'll definitely be recommending this one. While the plot was nothing new (boy and girl from 'opposite sides of the fence' begin dating, much to the chagrin of friends on both sides), I enjoyed the original format in which the story was presented: Min (the narrator) is going through the contents of a bulky box of mementoes which she is returning to Ed (the recently-dumped ex). Each chapter has an illustration of a new object and then Min tells (by means of a lengthy letter to Ed) about how the object factored into their breakup. I liked Min; she's an intelligent, witty girl who is cool despite the fact that she & her friends are not part of the "cool crowd" at school. I recommend this novel for readers who are at least 14 years old as there are some scenes with mature content (underage drinking, sex - the latter of which is sweet and awkward, not obscene or filled with dirty details).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.