Michele's Reviews > The Heroes

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy
Read in March, 2012

I should preface this review by stating that I don't have a lot of fantasy genre-reading experience to compare this novel to. I enjoyed Tolkien as a child (who didn't?), but up until last year when a friend recommended the fantasy books of Patrick Rothfuss (who, if you haven't read his works, do it NOW!), I hadn't picked up the genre in years. The Heroes is therefore the first Abercrombie novel I've read and despite the testosterone-overload of the cover image, I plunged in to discover one of the better books I've read in years. Ladies, do NOT let the blood and gore scare you away. Yes, there are explicit battle scenes, but I can tell you that they are absolutely integral to the story and what a fantastic story it is!

Three days, one battle, told from various POVs on both sides of the conflict. Abercrombie makes each character absolutely unique and unforgettable. Laugh-out-loud humor laces the entire novel as characters make insightful observations about the nature of mankind, the nature of wars, and the nature of peace. Abercrombie may mask his philosophical side in tremendous battle scenes, but he can't hide it completely. And honestly, this is what separates this novel from your standard blood-and-gore fare. The character development, plot movement and dialog are masterful and I would recommend this novel to anyone - fans of fantasy or not. Read it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroes.