Lindsey's Reviews > The House of the Scorpion

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

Aug 10, 09

bookshelves: action-adventure, clean, future, guy-friendly, not-white-characters-stories, sci-fi, suspense, teen
Read in August, 2009

Matt lives a happy childhood in the relative seclusion with his caretaker, Celia, until a chance encounter with some children reveals to him that he's not an ordinary boy - he's a clone. Clones aren't considered human, and they're no better than livestock. Matt is not just any clone though, he's the clone of the Opium king El Patron, who runs the entire drug country that now provides a border between the United States and Mexico. Everyone think El Patron is a vile and evil man, but he is kind to Matt, and Matt admires him. Matt struggles with his feelings of being human with the way others treat him as an animal, and also finds himself wrapped up in the unhappy and deceitful lives of El Patron and his family. He's also not sure why he was created in the first place - does El Patron want to love and dote on him, or does he have more sinister motives?

It was a good book, no doubt, but I was expecting more given all the awards. It was a little bit slow and sprawling, and while the idea was really good, I thought the author could have done more with the story. Very vivid descriptions though. It ends a little abruptly, so I was glad to see on her website that she is planning a sequel. However, this was written about 7 years ago, and I'm a little worried.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of the Scorpion.