Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > Heirs of Prophecy

Heirs of Prophecy by Michael A. Rothman

Jun 22, 12

bookshelves: tour, favorites, posted-on-blog, medieval-times
Read from June 21 to 22, 2012

The Riverton family is taking a summer-long vacation. Dad Jared is being very mysterious about their destination, but sons Ryan and Arron are excited...their mom Aubrey, not so much. But when their camping trip in Arizona goes wrong, they end up in a land that seems to be from another time--no cars, airplanes...and they have ogres and gnomes!

Luckily the Rivertons are taken in by the kindly Lancaster family, and they soon come to love the simple, hard working life they lead on the family's farm. The Riverton family has one issue though--when they stepped into this strange land, they gained magical powers...healing, superstrength, and the ability to control lightning. Unfortunately for them, the evil wizard who rules the land is determined that he should be the only magical person...so he sets out to destroy them. The Rivertons and Lancasters must band together to defeat the evil that threatens both their families.

I LOOOOOVED this book! It was a totally fresh take on the fantasy genre, but there were elements that reminded me of some of my favorite books--Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings seemed to be influences on this author.

Every member of both the Riverton and Lancaster families was totally awesome and likable. But, that didn't mean they were perfect. Brothers Ryan and Aaron both struggled with jealousy issues and each thinking the other was his father's favorite. Throll Lancaster and his wife Gwen were so sweet and kind, and their daughter Sloane, though 11, was kick-ass and not afraid of anything.

It was so cool to see a story that featured a whole family, rather than just the kids, going through an adventure. The story was told in thrid person, which allowed the reader to get the full scope on what all the characters were doing. I loved seeing the modern Riverton kids (and parents for that matter) coming into their magical powers.

The book had just enough action to keep an older reader like me entertained, but it was not too scary, which is nice for middle grade readers. There were battle scenes but not a lot of blood and gore. There are some mentions of dead bodies and people being incinerated, so if you have a younger reader you should watch out for that.

Heirs of Prophecy was simply magical, and I couldn't read it fast enough. I would recommend this book to fantasy fans of any age.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heirs of Prophecy.