Jessica-Robyn's Reviews > Fruits Basket, Vol. 17

Fruits Basket, Vol. 17 by Natsuki Takaya

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: graphica-manga-manhwa, graphica-ya
Read on May 09, 2012

Honestly I'm a little floored right now and the more I think about it the more worked up I get about the future. Kureno drops a pretty big bomb on poor little Tohru's head (actually several) and now even I don't have an opinion on what she should do with all this new information!

The new things we learn here both make me curious and yet a little, I don't know, frustrated maybe? Kureno has given us a lot to think about. But it felt to me like the implications of the biggest POW! were a little glossed over in favour of the more digestible aspects. I mean, the stuff about Akito was amazing for building his character and his relationships, definitely important and necessary. But what I really want to know is what this all means about the curse?! It felt like that should have been more of a focus point, but maybe I'm just being impatient. I have so many why?'s and how?'s that I wasn't going to be happy without some investigation or conversation about all of this madness!

The next bit goes into my major spoiler heavy comments, do not read unless you've read the book!! (view spoiler)

I want to make sure I get this ranty feelings all down because this feels like a volume that is setting up the rest of the story. The final arc of Tohru's journey has officially been spotted in the distance and although it's just a haze little spec of a nothing you know that once we're coming up on it, it'll be fast! I think this is officially the start of all that!

I'm so anxious to really know how this all plays out that I have actually put out requests for the rest of the series so I can read strait to the end. Hopefully they'll all come in soon!

One last thing! I already mentioned that Akito gets a big reveal of background information and unfortunately part of that surprise was something I already knew. I've known since before I started the manga and was just watching the anime for the first time. I remember that it was some prick who spoiled it in a comment on some random fandom thing, so that didn't have as big of a punch for me as it will for some readers. But the stuff about his family was very WOW! Things are starting to all come together... and yet not come together... but yay messed up togetherness!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fruits Basket, Vol. 17.