Katie's Reviews > Night Watch

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Dec 13, 2015

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy
Read in August, 2012

Yes, I have yet to choose a new library book, so it's back to my favorite Prachett novels. While nearly all of Prachett books can be read as stand-alones, there are those that benefit from having been read in chronological order. You have time to get to know the characters as Pratchett gets to know them. Of the main groups, there are the witches, the wizards, & the city watch. In order, the major novels featuring the City Watch are:

Guards! Guards!
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch
Thud!
Snuff

Vimes, Captain of the City Watch, is attempting to arrest Carcer, a psychopathic killer, when they're struck by lightning. This might seem bad enough, but it happens just as they're falling through the dome over the magically-charged bookshelves of Unseen University's Library. Of course, they find themselves transported into the past...right when Ankh-Morpork is about to experience a revolution. One that Vimes has already lived through, as a much younger Vimes. What would YOU do? Would you try to change the past? How malleable is history? And will Vimes be able to get home alive? Because Carcer knows a bit about history, too.

I've read this particular book about 5 times and love it every time. If you haven't started reading Pratchett yet...what's *wrong* with you?

A couple of my favorite quotes:
He wondered if it was at all possible to give this idiot some lessons in basic politics. That was always the dream, wasn't it? "I wish I knew then what I know now?" But when you got older, you found that you *now* wasn't *you* then. You then was a twerp. You then was what you had to be to start out on the rocky road of becoming you now, and one of the rocky patches on that road was being a twerp.

The Assassin moved quietly from roof to roof until he was well away from the excitement around the Watch House.
His movements could be called catlike, except that he did not stop to spray urine up against things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Watch.