Vikki's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

May 18, 12

bookshelves: kindle, fiction, psychological
Read from May 13 to 16, 2012

There has been a lot of hype among Kindle users about this book. My impression was that it became popular through word of mouth because it was good rather than through a media campaign so I was really looking forward to reading it. After about 10 pages I was disappointed but I persevered (yes, right to the end) because I thought there must be something about it to have won everyone over. I remain underwhelmed.
The writing style is irritating and dull, the characters are one-dimensional (plus they say ‘darling’ a lot) and the plot is ludicrous. I appreciate that this rare form of amnesia must exist (Watson claims to have researched it) but it is more the behaviour of the people around Christine (friends, family, health and social services) that I find unbelievable, especially the things you find out at the end. The constant repetition necessary to keep up the diary-style narrative was tedious: “so I just read my diary and I found out this…” yeah really, thanks for reminding me even though I read it too and I don’t have amnesia!
Overall, I think this could have been a good short story idea but was taken too far with no realistic idea of how to end it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.