Leigh's Reviews > P.S. I Love You

P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

Feb 18, 10

Read in December, 2008

I tried reading this once before, a few years ago now. I put it down about a quarter of the way in because, frankly, I was bored. I saw the movie several months ago and actually found it a lovely mix of sweet and sad. I thought maybe I'd missed something in the book and not only that, but I've become well acquainted with this kind of loss in the time that has passed. Thinking that my new perspective might change my mind, I decided that at some point I'd give it another go.

Well this week I gave it another go and I can tell you that I only got about 20 pages further than last time. Now I find the book not just boring, but immature. This book is Ahern's supposition of what it must be like to lose your significant other at a young age. She clearly has no experience with loss, even of a friend or close relative. There is no real grief, or heart, in this book, nor are the characters' actions very realistic. Yes, grief is unique to both the circumstance and the person feeling it - but there are so many moments in here that are simply unbelievable.

Some authors have the talent to write what they don't know. Ahern isn't one of them. My advice: don't waste your time. If you want to read about grief and lost loves, go read The Year of Magical Thinking instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read P.S. I Love You.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michele I concur! I found this book very boring and had to stop reading it as well.

Leigh Thanks, MoreCowbell. To be clear, I deleted Cindy's most recent comment because, not only was it highly disrespectful, but I have no desire to have a flame war over a book. Each to his own - she loves this book, I don't.

Marjorie I feel the same. But I'm not that regretful. took me three months to finish though.