Patrick McLean's Reviews > A Study of History, Abridgement of Vols 1-6

A Study of History, Abridgement of Vols 1-6 by Arnold Joseph Toynbee

Jan 09, 2014

Read from April 24, 2012 to January 09, 2014

As a writer I find this book to be a useful and inspiring tool. It makes my world-making brainy parts light up light Christmas.

If you are a fan of stories with big cosmologies (which would be everything by Asimov, Heinlein, Robert E. Howard, etc.) this will be a very interesting book. The sweep of history is laid out and explored, not in a fashion that struggles to stay in step with the intellectual fads of the day ( a la Diamond ) but with depth and passion.

My favorite bit so far:

It is ... a paradox of advancement that, if Necessity be the mother of Invention, the other parent is Obstinacy, the determination that you will go on living under adverse conditions rather than cut your losses and go where life is easier.

Can one find fault with the history or the analysis -- of course. But as a jumping off point to the creations of worlds, as an antidote to temporal provincialism (the idea that things now are as they have always been) this book is wonderful.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Study of History, Abridgement of Vols 1-6.

07/17/2012 page 120