Jeana's Reviews > No One is Here Except All of Us

No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel

May 27, 12

bookshelves: good-fiction
Read from May 05 to 26, 2012

This book was fascinating. It reads like a poem, a long 300-page lyrical poem that is just beautiful. But with poetry, there's an essence of beauty that I can never quite capture. The same goes for this book. While I read it, I never quite got it. The story in itself is strange. The premise--a small village wanting to keep itself tucked away from the horrors of war--is a good one. What's weird is the idea that they're starting this whole new world and playing house at life. in which someone can just ask for another person's child just because and that the parents of said child would say yes. The characters were odd and while normally it's okay (all people are different of course, as will be characters) to have so many people with the same type of odd is just too much. Everyone does the strangest things and thinks the strangest things that is so beyond what is probable that it's hard to suspend belief as a reader.

Still, because of the strangeness of all the characters, the story really does take a turn that no one could ever call it predictable. The story has layers of meaning, so many I know I didn't get them all. I know I'm probably the odd man out here, but I liked this story. I liked it as long as I could suspend my belief. I don't think most of my friends would like it though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One is Here Except All of Us.

05/23/2012 page 170
51.0% "Yep, it's strange yet I can't seem to stop reading."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Antje (new)

Antje It does sound very interesting, so I will give it a try. I will let you know what I think of it.

Jeana I'm interested in your thoughts. =)