Suzanne Gust's Reviews > The Lion and the Mouse

The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pinkney

F_50x66
Apr 24, 12

Again, I do not usually enjoy wordless picture books, but decided to read this book because of it's amazing illustrations. This story is one of Aesop's fables. It is a wordless picture book telling the great adventure of an unlikely friendship between two animals living in the wild. A tiny mouse, running from a predator, finds shelter atop the lion. The gentle giant spares the mouse’s life, even though he had planned to eat him. He knows he has made the right decision when the mouse comes to his rescue, and frees him from a poacher’s trap. Even though the mouse is small, he frees the lion from the trap. I have heard this story orally before, but never without words in a picture book. Jerry Pinkney does a great job of telling the story through his beautiful drawings. The illustrations are watercolor and show the vivid African landscape. I would definitely have this book in a younger classroom. I could use it in a lesson about friendship and repayment of acts of kindness. Overall, this has been my favorite wordless picture book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion and the Mouse.