Carolyn's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Apr 24, 12

Read in April, 2012

The title alone was enough to make me not want to read this book. The Language of Flowers? Really. How cutesy and sappy can you get. Then I got started on the book and had a hard time putting it down.

I still don't think much of the title, but the book was riveting enough, loaded with suspense and teasingly delayed revelations of dark secrets with clever foreshadowings. Though unevenly paced, some passages were exceptionally well-rendered, particularly Victoria's deterioration once alone with her infant daughter.

I was completely unaware that there did indeed exist a Victorian Language of Flowers and would have appreciated an authorial allusion to such rather than the not-so-subtle name choice for the heroine. I might have been less skeptical about the subject matter had I known that the author did not simply make it up.

The story of the damaged foster child who left a broad path of destuction was often sad, if not tragic. The author managed to make Victoria's story plausible and moving while building toward a happy ending that was only a teensy bit contrived.

This novel is a very quick read, and despite it being somewhat over-engineered, I do recommend it highly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.