Rachel's Reviews > Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

Sep 11, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, sociology-etc, how-to, 2012
Read from September 06 to 07, 2012

This was my latest read in my survey of the Let's Emulate the French mini-genre. It's actually quite interesting, although most of the advice is pretty common-sense. I kept thinking that the "French methods" sounded a lot like the way I was raised (let kids entertain themselves, don't cater to their every whim so they'll realize the world doesn't revolve around them, don't feed them only chicken nuggets, parents get to retain their own lives). Not having kids myself, I haven't read many parenting books, but the articles/editorials I keep running across with descriptions of current middle-class [over]parenting leave me a little bit dumfounded. If all that is true and not a hyper-specific trend limited to New York City, I'd say this book could be a good antidote. I would recommend it to parents of babies/small children, just because it seems like a nice breath of fresh air/common sense. Actually, I would also recommend it to anyone struggling with The Procreation Decision, since it holds out hope that one can have children without having one's life and sense of self completely taken over by tiny tyrants.

A note on the audio version: horribly, horribly annoying. I'm not sure who made the misguided decision to voice all of the French speakers in a ridiculous "French accent", but it's very distracting and annoying. The low point is when the narrator gives an American writer who happens to have a French last name (and has contributed to the mini-genre) a French accent.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Bébé.