Sera's Reviews > Comeback: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back

Comeback by Claire Fontaine

Sep 27, 08

bookshelves: biography-memoir, favorites, parenting, own
Recommended to Sera by: BOMC
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

For my GR friends who know me, you know how much that I enjoy reading bios/memoirs. I love human triumph in the face of adversity, and like history, I find many insights that I can apply to my own life from the reflection of others' experiences. This book has plenty of both of these things.

This book is written by a mother and daughter, Claire and Mia respectively, who survived the sexual abuse that the father imposed on his daughter and that began when she was only three years old. The book depicts how this conduct almost leads Mia to destroy herself and how she finds a way to save herself from this self-destruction. Yet the book is so much more than this theme implies. It delves into how parents who bring their own baggage to the parent-child relationship impacts the psyche and the behavior of the child.

Please note that there are no graphic depictions of the sexual abuse for those of you, who like me, have difficulty with reading such subject matter. Claire provides enough information to convey the horror, but she does it in such a smart way, because she focuses on the view toward incest of her former husband and his family. This alone will make you sick but more importantly, make you become aware of how this repetitive egregious conduct cycles into a familial belief of the normalcy of the abhorrent behavior.

This book then ventures into the therapeutic process of how the mother and daughter find their way to well-being. Recovery of Mia's drug abuse is what leads them there, but its the examination of the underlying causes of that behavior and how she manages to overcome it that is a real eye-opener into the redemptive nature of human beings.

As a woman pregnant with her first child, a girl, I gained much from reading this book. I could go on and on about that, but please pick it up and see if you can find something useful for yourself. You just mind find it to be helpful.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comeback.