Cait Lackey's Reviews > The Storm in the Barn

7520192
Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in April, 2012

"The Storm in the Barn" is a graphic novel that tells a story of young boy named Jack and his struggle to find his place and worth within his community and family. The novel takes place during the Dust Bowl in the 1930s, and historically the novel shows a realistic portrayal of what people struggled with during the time. The story has an interesting plot and is well illustrated and a rather quick read.

As a future teacher I would recommend this book be taught to students at the 6th,7th or 8th grade level due to the book’s format and length. I think that in order to fully understand the novel one must know some information about the history of the Dust Bowl, and I think students at the previously stated grades would have some back knowledge of the time. I think it would be great if this book could be taught simultaneously to a group of students that were also learning about the Dust Bowl in their history classes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm in the Barn.