Zoltan Abbott's Reviews > My Many Colored Days

My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss

Apr 24, 12

Dr Seuss is better known for classics like ‘The Cat in the Hat’ and books that have been turned into movies like ‘how the Grinch stole Christmas’ and ‘Horton Hears a Who’
This is a gentler offering, that was recommended to me by a colleague who swore by its lyrical quality – it is in Dr Seuss’s trademark rhyme – but is unusual in that it doesn’t contain a usual ‘story’. Instead, it charts a short journey through different feelings, associating them with colours. The illustrations are bright and vivid, really helping the expression of the different feelings they are linked to.
I first used this book when fostering children – it offers a way for children to express how they are feeling in a simple and gentle way , using colours and analogy that they are able to pick up from an early age, such as ‘then comes a Yellow Day. And, I am a busy, buzzy bee.’
As a classroom resource, it could be used to help any child who has difficulty in expressing their feelings or as a stimulus for circle time or PSHE work. I would recommend it from year one onwards. It could also be used as a trigger book that can help support expression through artistic work either directly through drawing and painting or through drama and dance where the children could be any one of the animals depicted, from a ‘busy bee’ to a lonely dinosaur or howling wolf. An excellent, short, versatile book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Many Colored Days.