Amanda Patterson's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Apr 25, 12

liked it

Karou is the beautiful girl with the blue hair who doesn't belong. She doesn't know where she comes from and nobody will tell her. She lives in two worlds, 'Elsewhere' and Earth. She runs errands for Brimstone, who raised her, and lives as a 17-year-old art student in Prague for the rest.
Enter Akiva, the angel who wants to kill her family. But he's smitten as he observes, "It was like stepping into the pages of a book - a book alive with colour and fragrance, filth and chaos - and the blue-haired girl moved through it all like a fairy through a story, the light treating her differently than it did others, the air seeming to gather around her like held breath. As if this whole place were a story about her."
The doors to Elsewhere are closing. Karou has to find out who she is, and what her destiny is. The novel is beautifully written. Taylor weaves words with myths with dreams. However, I found she lost me in the last third of the book when things became too unbelievable. Even for this book.

3.5/5

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Laini Taylor
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.

It did not end well.”

Laini Taylor
“Until a few days ago, humans had been little more than legend to him, and now here he was in their world. It was like stepping into the pages of a book -- a book alive with color and fragrance, filth and chaos -- and the blue-haired girl moved through it all like a fairy through a story, the light treating her differently than it did others, the air seemed to gather around her like held breath. As if this whole place was a story about her.

Laini Taylor
“Your soul sings to mine. My soul is yours, and it always will be, in any world. No matter what happens. I need you to remember that I love you.”

03/04 marked as: read