Anna's Reviews > Silence of the Grave

Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indriðason

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, bookcrossing
Read on April 20, 2012

The second book of Erlendur series, located in Reykjavik, Iceland.
I enjoyed this one a lot more than the first one (Jar City). Erlendur is kind of a loner type of detective, but he and his thoughts and silences felt much more intimate than on the first one.
A skeleton is found close to a construction site on the outskirts of Reykjavik by pure chance. It starts to look it is an older body, decades old. On the same time, while we follow the investigations, there's another story unfolding: a woman with 3 children and a violent husband. It takes a while to see how and where they bind to the story, and then to discover what happened. I admit I've read Erlendur books out of order, and this one I've liked so far the most. Even Eva Lind seems nearly tolerable, and I adored the character of Mikkelina in the story. A bunch of difficult topics like domestic violence bind beautifully into this story.

"I was going to ask you... I think I was asking you about domestic violence."
"Such a convenient term for soul murder. Such a harmless term for people who don't know what lies behind it. Do you know what it's like, living in constant fear your whole life?"
Erlendur said nothing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silence of the Grave.