Danielle's Reviews > The Wind Through the Keyhole

The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012-all
Read from April 24 to May 01, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

While I know many will disagree with me, I don't think of the Dark Tower series as King's best work. But I have read them all and do enjoy them, especially the opening novel, The Gunslinger, which is haunting in a lyric way. Instead of feeling like I want to go back to the other DT books, I think I might venture into the list of linked books given in TWTtK's inner pages, back to Insomnia or Desperation.

What I liked best about TWTtK was the title story, which actually comes in the middle of the novel, the story within the story within the story. (I do feel like this structure is a bit too...structure-y, but all things serve the beam, right?) These were the characters I could best get into and the plot I found most inviting. I really liked DARIA and the reappearance of R.F., of course.

What I disliked is Roland as narrator. He is an untrustworthy narrator, which can really work in fiction, but when we're dealing with myth and history, I find myself wanting a more reliable narrator. In general I prefer King's books when written in third person. (11/22/63 is an exception to this.)

So: King fan? Read it. Not already a fan? I don't think this one is going to win your heart.

June 2012: Going through the audiobook version now...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind Through the Keyhole.