Heather's Reviews > The Chamber

The Chamber by John Grisham

Feb 03, 14

bookshelves: adult
Read in January, 2014

Some of this is a duplicate review regarding my comparison of this book vs. The Appeal:
This confirms my opinion that Grisham's later books are much better than his earlier ones. I read this as part of 3-book compendium (The Firm, The Appeal, The Chamber) on Kindle that I borrowed from the library. I had already read The Firm and had intended to read the older one (The Chamber) first. I forgot which was which and was pleasantly surprised that The Appeal was good - and then realized it was the newer one.

The Chamber was as expected - slower, etc. which I expected based on its older age. There were so many moments when Grisham just described how the system worked without much effort to have it come through withing the plot. There were multiple paragraph sections that just kind of started, "The way this works is..."

So as a novel, I found it fairly tedious. It was enough to want to find out how it ended, but I found it slow. However, I heard about two death penalty cases almost immediately after reading this and did feel like I had a much better understanding of the legal procedure. So if you want to learn procedure, then read this. If you want to read a novel, maybe not.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chamber.

02/03/2014 marked as: read