Ashley's Reviews > My Story

My Story by Marilyn Monroe

Apr 24, 2012

Read in May, 2012

****4.5 stars!****
I thoroughly enjoyed reading My Story by Marilyn Monroe. I recently saw My Week with Marilyn and became more interested in her. There are multiple books written about Marilyn but I wanted to read an autobiography first.
Marilyn was a very misunderstood person; people took her quietness as her being full of herself when in fact she was just timid, nervous, and often times unsure of herself. Her looks and success intimitated outsiders and they chose to believe that she thought highly of herself without ever really giving her a fair chance. While reading, it was clear that Marilyn really never fully got over being the orphaned, poor little girl....she was haunted by Norma Jean often. Also, Marilyn felt that people didn't take her seriously as an actress or as a person and she was always striving to get the acceptance of others. She mentions early on in the book that she sees herself as "the kind of girl they found dead in a hall bedroom w/ an empty bottle of sleeping pills in her hand". This line broke my heart because, on some level, she obviously had the thought of hurting herself long before she (reportedly) took her life in August 1962.
I feel I now have a better understanding of Marilyn. She was so much more than a model or an actress; she was a dreamer, a believer, a SURVIVOR.
My only criticism of My Story is that the last chapter Marilyn wrote about was about her honeymoon with Joe DiMaggio in 1954. I wish she had written more, though I'm sure that everyone who read this feels the same.
I will continue to read other books about Marilyn Monroe as this has only fueled my interest in this beautiful, strong, remarkable woman.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Story.

05/01/2012 page 72