Bookwatcher 's Reviews > The Bewitchments Of Love And Hate

The Bewitchments Of Love And Hate by Storm Constantine

May 21, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, sci-fi, glbt-trans-intersex-genderfluid, magic
Recommended for: dark fantasy fans
Read from April 24 to May 19, 2012

I finish this book 24h ago, but just now gather my forces and can write a few words about it. Don't be worried, it don't have any spoiler about this book or the previous (The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit)

The first book is about a human, Pellaz, learning what are Wraeththu. It's a future, an apocalyptic future and humans are not the dominant specie on Earth, Wraeththu are... ruling the Earth.

Reading this book is almost like be again seeing by an innocent eye what an Wraeththu is. It's all Swift point of view... a pure Wraeththu... a rare child, born from two Wraeththu.

What can I say about him? First of all, that's his image

He is the son of Cobweb, a Wraeththu full of magic and wrapped in mystery. And of course, the son also of Terzian, Cobweb consort, and he is not just a Wraeththu, but much more... a Varr.

Read it, to see though an infant eyes, innocent eyes, the beauty of his home, forever, and the love of his hostling (Cobweb, the "mother" figure of his life), and the... cruelty of his tribe. But Swift path is long, full or joy, despair and sadness. You must read to see it, to feel it...

I learn a lot more reading this second book, but still have much more to know. I miss Pellaz (the narrator of the first book) but it's the way it must be... each thing will happen in a precise time, and patience dear reader of this review, is a virtue.

I need to read the 3 book, and know what will happen now. I'm very excited knowing who will be the narrator, but also terrified.
If up to now I felt a little sadness and despair reading this dark fantasy tale, probably the last book The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire will give the final blow that will break my heart.

Last remark, the third book have a very mysterious character in the cover art. He is Thiede.

it's blood, liking from his hands? Or just a lock of his bright red hair? Why all the manipulation? Why all the pain he is causing? Why why why... the only why to know it is read more, suffer more... and I will.

I must read the third of this series, and I will...

5 stars just because I can't give more. Certainly I would if I could, because it's one of those rare cases of a book (better say series) so overwhelming I don't know how could I express my sentiments with words... so sorry, I try and I hope this review modestly show you, dear reader of this review, my immense satisfaction of the reading, and my immense fear of what can happen from this book on. I hope, and I wish it will end well, but even with a HEA, after so many tragedy, it will be enough to bring a smile in my face? Bring tears of joy?

We shall see... we shall see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bewitchments Of Love And Hate.

04/24/2012 page 0
0.0% "just finish the first of this series... and immediately starting the second. I need to know what will happen now!"
04/25/2012 page 88
26.0% "I can understand why Cobwed is so bitchy, but I hate him. For what he is doing to Cal. And... Swift is adorable!! Loving his POV in this story!"
04/26/2012 page 128
37.0% "Whoa, that's unexpected!!! ""
05/17/2012 page 250
73.0% "oh... Swift I love him"
05/19/2012 page 342
100.0% "Can't write a review in this moment... I'm happy, sad, confused... Spechless.... This book is....wonderful " 2 comments
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola it's transexual??

Bookwatcher yes and no
whaethuthu are a specie that can identify themselves as they want, as male of female. But in the first story, as in this one, the main character identify himself more male than female... even if Swift in my view is much more feminine than Pellaz, the narrator of the first book.
In the first book Pellaz think all the time, why if they are a specie that have also a female nature see themselves all as male... and it's true, and also Swift will have it (those ideas), and be confused knowing about the existence of female humans. For him is inconceivable someone divided having just one gender as humans have.
The gender is something you will all the time be questioning. Swift was born whaethuthu, while the first book is about Pellaz was human and became whaethuthu... and both stories will have the gender discussion.
I consider it trans* but a lot of readers see it as a male/male story. I think it's the beauty of this series. It can have more than one interpretation :-) and make us all think.

message 3: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola I think the real Chamilia is actually Cam. You should take some drugs and be a man. I know deep inside you really want to be a man.

Bookwatcher Nope, I like to be a woman :-) I have no idea if someday I will want to be a man, If so I see no wrong about it
:-)
We constant grown and learn, and sometimes it can be reflect also in the way we see ourself

message 5: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola I will not be a woman. -.- There's only a few men who can turn into a beautiful women. The rest of us doesn't look so great

Bookwatcher Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
:-)
How can you say it! You can't judge yourself :-D because you could be the personification of beauty for someone :-)
The concept of beauty and ugly is so subjective!

message 7: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola I can't love someone who isn't attractive, but i can't have lust for them.

Bookwatcher Lola wrote: "I can't love someone who isn't attractive, but i can't have lust for them."

I know but be attractive is very subjective. I love my husband and he is 15 years old than me. Many people would want a younger, not a older partner, I always date and at the end marry a older man.
It's subjective, and very personal the concept of beauty and who someone is attract to :-)

message 9: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola I meant I can love someone who isn't attractive. But I can't really have sex with them.

message 10: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola which is kind of a big deal in a relationship

Bookwatcher Lola wrote: "which is kind of a big deal in a relationship"

I know you think I'm the biggest perv on Earh :D but believe me, a relationship with just sex is doomed to fail. Live with someone is not easy, and it's about love, caring and talk, not bed and sex. You can have sex with anyone you see and want, but stay in the same home, for years and years, be patience and want it (to keep living in the same roof) is hard, and just love can make you do it.

Lola wrote: "I meant I can love someone who isn't attractive. But I can't really have sex with them."

That I belive is not true, because love mean see someone as the most pretty and desirable person on Earth.

message 12: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola -.-

Well, you didn't marry a 500 pound 60 year old man with gaseous problem.

Bookwatcher Lola wrote: "-.-

Well, you didn't marry a 500 pound 60 year old man with gaseous problem."

I'm already married :-)
:-D
Hey gaseous problems can be cured. There are medical treatments and it's also a lot about the diet than a real problem

message 14: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola hmmm well I suppose so.

Bookwatcher Lola wrote: "hmmm well I suppose so."

Eat 3 cans of bean and I believe you would have gaseous problems as everyone in the world would too
:-D
But do you know people can be used to it? I'm Brazilian and we eat beans EVERY DAY (rice and beans is something all Brazilians eat in the meals) and it don't bother me at all! Even in my vacations, I eat 100 times more beans there than here in Italy and still, it don't bother me :-)

So if you love someone with gaseous problems avoid took him to Brazil
Or do it, to make him be used to a rich diet of beans :-D

message 16: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola I haven't met anyone I like as of now. so....-.-

Bookwatcher :-)
Well I used to said it too and then BAM meet my hubby :-)

message 18: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola and then bam, you met bono :0

message 19: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola and bam, you ate an egg.

and bam, you make caca in the toilet.

message 21: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola wow, this author's writing is even worse than mine.

message 22: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola I want to be the monster under the bed. :) Scaring people

Bookwatcher Lola wrote: "I want to be the monster under the bed. :) Scaring people"

Ok :-)
Be it!!! It must be fun be a monster under the bed!
But you can't be death so you must pick. A grin reaper or monster under the bed

message 24: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola a tiger!

Bookwatcher Like Boh?

message 26: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola Bookwatcher ~Mary MooCow~ wrote: "Lola wrote: "which is kind of a big deal in a relationship"

That's true. I can't stand my old roommate.

Bookwatcher lol
because he was an asshole -.-"
:D
anyway, it's not easy AT ALL live with someone, so I strongly believe it's necessary much more than just attraction. It's necessary also love