Octo's Reviews > The Unfolding of Language: An Evolutionary Tour of Mankind's Greatest Invention

The Unfolding of Language by Guy Deutscher

Jul 17, 07

bookshelves: dunread
Recommended for: grammar correctors
Read in December, 2006

Wow. This book is really good and I recommend it highly to anyone interested in linguistics. It sets forth a theory of language evolution (from prehistoric grunt to modern day slang) that uses concrete examples to show how changes and developments come about. What's more is that the authors connects ancient changes in language to current observable trends and shows the reader how the same forces that, say, created modern English are working to change modern English today. Wow.

The author's knowledge of all languages is impressive and the material is presented clearly, but not simplistically. The author perfectly manages to give the reader everything one would want to know (and more) without becoming overly complicated. However, I must admit that I had to skip a bit of the book because it was just getting to be too much for me, but I see that as a good thing. If I wanted the depth I could have gotten it from the book, and it would have been presented clearly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unfolding of Language.