Michelle's Reviews > Scorch

Scorch by Gina Damico

5281931
Jan 18, 13

Read in January, 2013

I'm in the really awkward position of having to go back a bit on what I have said earlier...I stand by my rating, but I think I may have been a little hard on Croak in my review. Part of my strategy for savoring the new books I received over the holidays (and making them last a bit longer) was to first reread the earlier books in the series. Maybe it was that I already knew Lex at this point, but I didn't have the same feelings of disconnect from her that I did the first time I read Croak. I also think that, in working so hard to articulate what I didn't like about the book, I lost sight of just how humorous it really was. That humor not only carried over into Scorch, it was amplified tenfold!

Damico is progressing just as an author should -- everything positive I could or would have had to say about her debut novel holds true for Scorch; and much of what I found problematic about Croak was improved or removed this time around. Her previous awkwardness with writing intimacy wasn't an issue this time around. Nor were the occasional lulls in action or seemingly random plot developments present. The foreshadowing was very well done, as was the slow reveal of clues from Uncle Mort. (And I STILL say there is was more going on there than meets the eye. If we don't get our answers in Rogue, there had better be an Uncle Mort prequel!!) In fact, Scorch was a thoroughly enjoyable, fast, funny read from beginning to end.

I admit, I still found parts of Damico's world to be highly absurd (basically everything about DeMyse, Leroy, and the rest of the DeMysian people was over the top), but it fits her witty writing in a way that feels comfortable now. The Croak series is definitely shaping up to be one of my favorite new ya series for a light, funny read.

Blogged at Chronicles of a Book Evangelist.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scorch.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I liked this one better than the first--and I agree, I think the writing is better, too!