Ed's Reviews > I'm Starved for You

I'm Starved for You by Margaret Atwood

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: 2012, 4-stars, dystopia, kindle-single, read-on-kindle, short-stories, shared-in-household, part-of-a-series
Read on April 24, 2012

Having read The Handmaid's Tale eons ago, I have been meaning to get back to some Margaret Atwood, but those of us who have mile-high to-be-read lists know how that goes, so I was pleased when I saw this Kindle single/short story available to either encourage or discourage me from seeking more Atwood out.

Not that I was ever expecting the latter, but this short story was something I wish had been blown out into a full novel. It is the story of Stan and Charmaine, a seemingly happy couple living in gated time-share community... well, this is Atwood... so it is a closed society set in a dystopic future where folks trade-off their time between white-picket fence suburbia and a pretty cushy, white-collar type prison. When Stan finds a lipstick kissed note with the erotically-charged "I'm Starved For You" tucked beneath his refrigerator, he assumes it is just a leftover from the other couple who occupies their home while Stan and Charmaine voluntarily incarcerate themselves. But he starts fantasizing about this woman, and that's only the beginning of the exploration of this dysfunctional marriage... and new society.

Well-written, creative, with a good under-current of humor (so lacking in today's dystopia, go figure?!). Again, my only complaint is that I would have liked more, but a great way to spend a couple of hours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Starved for You.