Bookguide's Reviews > Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

Nov 01, 12

Read in March, 2012

This book made a huge impact on me, and I was both fascinated and appalled at the story of how the Native Americans in the south-west and west were treated, tricked and lied to, and ultimately murdered in one way or another. I made copious notes, but then I put the book and the notes to one side and didn't follow up. I also know that I talked about it on Facebook and promised the book to one of my BookCrosser friends; I haven't forgotten. I really need to take some time to see if I can make a proper review of this book so I can send it on.

We travelled around much of this part of America this summer and, having read this book, was shocked and disappointed that there was so little Native American history to visit. It's entirely possible that we missed something we should have seen, but I can't help feeling that if this region had been the site of the Holocaust, there would have been a great many more major museums telling the story in all its horror. We visited a museum about pueblo Indians who had moved on of their own accord, a museum about Buffalo Bill who campaigned to help the Native Americans, and a trading post with a museum which only talked about one incident where one chief prevented a massacre. Literally nothing about the atrocities which took place.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.

message 1: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit The difference would be that the holocaust is over.