Aryn's Reviews > Calling Invisible Women

Calling Invisible Women by Jeanne Ray

May 09, 12

bookshelves: own, won-in-giveaway, fiction, chick-lit
Read in May, 2012

"'[Y]our wife. Let's say she's been through menopause and she's being eaten alive by hot flashes so her doctor gives her some Premacore. After that the same doctor finds that her bone density isn't quite what it should be and so he gives her some Ostafoss as well. But on top of that she's a little depressed. Can you blame her? She's just been through menopause, and you're working all the time, so he gives her some Singsall, just a touch just to brighten up the picture.'
[...]
'She didn't pick this combination out for herself, it's given to her. Then one morning you wake up and you've got nothing in your arms but a nightgown.'"

What would you do with invisibility? If you woke up one morning and realized no one could see you, would you use your "power" for good, or would you shrivel up?

The quote above, from the Uncorrected Proof that I received from Goodreads Giveaways, pretty well sums up the entire plot of the book. Clover wakes up one morning and discovers that, due to a pharmaceutical snafu, she's invisible, not in a I feel invisible way, but in a tangible, my clothes are hanging on thin air, way. Her family, and most of society for that matter, doesn't even notice. The empty set of clothes walking around the house fixing breakfast and doing laundry attracts zero attention.

I was honestly pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed this book. The plot as I summed up above, seems gimmicky, and to an extent it really, really is. It's one of the most gimmicky, convenient plots, I've seen in quite some time, and I can't say I was expecting to enjoy the book.

However, somewhere along the way, the book that I thought was simply a convenience for the author was making a fabulous point. The plot of the book is sort of lame and gimmicky, but the point, goes so far beyond that. I was in NYC yesterday and because of this book was realizing exactly how little we actually truly look at the people around us, and yet, we all like to fancy that everyone is looking at only us. When the truth is, we barely look at ourselves.

Happily, this book is a quick read, with a poignant commentary on the way women see themselves, others, and the way society sees them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calling Invisible Women.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carmen I was also surprised that I ended up enjoying this book.