Val Kaminska's Reviews > The Kingdom of Gods

The Kingdom of Gods by N.K. Jemisin

Apr 27, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 24 to 27, 2012

I am simply amazed by this last part of the "Inheritance" trilogy. Usually I try to start reading a book without any expectations - I have found that I enjoy it more that way. Unfortunately, though, before starting this one I have read reviews on Goodreads, mostly saying that this novel is the worst of the three, people finding it erratic and unstructured, not understanding what is happening at times. I was pleasantly surprised: this part I liked the most of all. Firstly, I found Sieh's mind fascinating, from the beginning until the end, growing up little by little along with him, seeing how he is changing, noticing the details - things that old Sieh would not do. Secondly, the story, the mystery around which the story develops seems more interesting, because it is more abstract, more emotional, though not so very mysterious - quite predictable. I agree that the novel might seem quite erratic, though definitely not in a bad way. This is something I keep admiring N.K. Jemisin for - I feel that she knows her characters completely, she has them figured out. The story is erratic, because the narrator is a spoiled, cruel, mischievous child, at heart at least, so if the story was more structured and less confusing, it would not be Sieh anymore, it would sound more like Yeine, Oree or Shahar. But it felt Sieh through and through. So, I simply loved it. Devoured it. Not trusting other opinions before forming my own again anytime soon. A book should be a mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Gods.

Quotes Val Liked

N.K. Jemisin
“Funny thing, employment. If you keep doing it, you keep getting paid.”
N.K. Jemisin, The Kingdom of Gods

04/25/2012
04/25/2012
26.0% "I find Sieh's mind quite fascinating. Plus, Shahar, for once, (for now) seems a strong female character (as opposed to characters in the first two books of the trilogy) that does not just lay down and die at the first sign of trouble."
04/26/2012
46.0% ""What would be the most exciting way to commit suicide?""