Arti's Reviews > Everything in This Country Must

Everything in This Country Must by Colum McCann

Apr 24, 12

Read in April, 2012

A book compiling two short stories and a novella, Everything in this Country Must reaffirms my admiration for Colum McCann's spare and powerful writing.

McCann is the author of the 2009 National Book Award winner Let The Great World Spin. In my review of that book, I noted how he'd intricately woven together seemingly unrelated stories against the backdrop of the Twin Towers, crafting a moving tribute to NYC.

Before NYC, McCann had written about his home country Ireland. Everything In This Country Must (2000) is a poignant portrayal of how the political turmoils in Northern Ireland during the 80's affect the three young protagonists in each of these stories. All the short pieces in the book are masterfully rendered, immediate, sharply focused, intense, minimal yet deeply charged. Above all, I've appreciated, as with Great World, McCann's insightful metaphors.

***

Everything In This Country Must: Short Story

Nightfall, cold and raining. A man's favorite work horse is near drowning with its forelegs caught in some rocks at the bottom of a flooding river. He gets his 15 year-old daughter to help him hold the horse's head above water with a rope while he frantically dives into the water to get its legs out, but to no avail. He desperately needs help.

Soon enough, an army truck passes by. A few British soldiers quickly jump out to help. O what plight! The wrong people coming to the man's aid. These soldiers remind him of the loss of his beloved. Despite his protest, they save the horse. The daughter now is torn between her gratitude towards the soldiers and her father's anger.

Of course I will not tell you everything about this story. You must experience it yourself. Then you'll be amazed how in just fourteen pages, McCann can depict a human flood of hatred and rage that can drown any living soul, and slap you with a haunting end that leaves you cold like night.

To Continue Reading the rest of this review, CLICK HERE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything in This Country Must.