Breanne's Reviews > The Temptation

The Temptation by Alisa Valdes

May 15, 12

bookshelves: giveaways, read-in-2012, didnt-particularly-enjoy, paranormal
Read from May 14 to 15, 2012

Alright, so after reading the synopsis on the back, I decided firmly that I wanted to read this because I loved the concept. However, after I started reading it, I soon realized that it wasn't my cup of tea.

I found Shane to be extremely hard to relate to, and also very unrealistic. She fell in love with Travis so suddenly, so abruptly, that I didn't really know what to say about it. Of course, as it is a Kindred Novel, they are bound to have another deeper connection than what they think they do. But still, I found it to be, in a way, over the top. For example, Shane owns a dog. Don't get me wrong, I understand the bond that is formed between animal and owner, and I also understand that Travis has the deeper connection with all animals as he is a healer, but I think using the dog as a lure and making the poor puppy the center of attention briefly in the middle was the author not knowing exactly what to do with the story.

Speaking now in the sense of mechanics, I found that some of the things written were quite redundant. "The hairs on my back of my neck stood up,", then one paragraph later, "I feel the hairs on my neck prickle," and then a few lines later, "Goosebumps form throughout my body," I even said aloud that I understood that she had a tingling feeling. It didn't need to be said every paragraph.

That being said, there were also things that I did enjoy about the novel such as Travis's character being wonderfully developed, the concept of the whole novel being intriguing and heartbreaking at the same time, and the incorporation of characters that surprise you.

The love story (i.e., the reason I wanted to read The Temptation in the first place) was portrayed well enough that you knew that the whole story revolved around Shane and Travis. It was enough to make my heart swell, made me want to laugh, cry, and even be wrapped in Travis's strong, tender arms myself as I fall to sleep.

There were many ideas incorporated into The Temptation, and each concept concluded itself--except for the conclusion, of course. Cliff-hanger! Consider yourself warned! I was expecting at least twenty more pages, but I flipped one page and there read "Acknowledgments".

All in all, I was intrigued enough to continue to read it, and never once did I consider putting the book down and stop reading it, because it was, with all honesty, captivating enough to keep you wondering what happens next. However, did this book change my life? Not so much. Did I find some writing tips within, good and bad? Definitely.

All in all, I gave The Temptation three stars out of five because there had been more I disliked about it than I did like. That being said, would I recommend this book to anyone? Of course! I recommend this book to anyone looking for a read that will be enjoyable over the summer, have a deep enough meaning that it will be captivating, a love story that will make your heart swell and want to burst with both joy and sadness at the same time, but with flaws that stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, this story needn't be flawless, but in the same token, there are just a few things here and there that I couldn't get over.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Temptation.

05/14/2012 page 108
34.0% "We'll see . . . I'm not sure how I'm feeling about this book at the moment"
05/15/2012 page 186
58.0% "It's enough to keep me coming back for more . . . but I'm still not sure what I think just yet"