Joanne-in-Canada's Reviews > Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks

May 03, 12

bookshelves: favourites
Read from April 26 to May 02, 2012 — I own a copy

Flipping ahead, like cholesterol, can be bad or good.

Bad flipping ahead means I'm losing interest and either looking for a reason to keep reading, or skimming through the rest of the plot before I stop reading.

Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend was subjected to good flipping ahead. Part way through, I simultaneously couldn't stand the suspense and didn't want to rush this wonderful journey with Max and his imaginary friend Budo, so I flipped ahead a little, then came back to relish the details.

I was a little nervous about Matthew Dicks' third book. I'd loved his first, Something Missing, for its bizarre premise, quirky protagonist, and the unravelling of a precarious existence. His second book, Unexpectedly, Milo, seemed a variation on a riff, but not as engaging and too repetitive.

Dicks has proven his versatility by writing his third novel from the point of view of a figment of a 9-year-old boy's imagination, who is nevertheless complex and "human". What does carry over from Dicks' previous writing is a compelling, structured world--that of imaginary friends and their creators--that evolves unpredictably with time.

Rarely do I read a book that I know so little about. Having heard about the premise at Dicks' session at the 2011 BOTNS retreat, I was eagerly awaiting this book's publication (August 2012 in North America), and found an advance readers' copy at The Bookstore Plus in Lake Placid, NY, on the way to Booktopia 2012 (VT). Each plot point was a surprise, and I recommend avoiding reviews before reading this book.

And read it you must!
33 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish wow. five stars. review?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris WOW! Callie gave this five stars, too! I think I'm going to have to read this! :-)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait to read this too.... I agree with your assessment of his other books so I'm excited to see how we compare with this one.

message 4: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul I just heard the author talk a bit about this book at the Newburyport Lit Festival and thought the premise sounded terrific. Now you've confirmed my suspicions. Can't wait to read it. Very nice review, Joanne.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Sounds intriguing and with a 5 star rating from you, I know it will go on my list!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished and LOVED it.

Joanne-in-Canada Suzanne wrote: "Just finished and LOVED it."

Glad to hear it! I'm in the middle of Embassytown, a sci fi book about language. Definitely outside my usual genres, but quite good.

message 8: by J.nieves85 (new)

J.nieves85 I took my nephew to the library to fill out a job application. I was browsing through the new book section when I came across this one. I couldn't put it down and made him check it out for me lol. I LOVED IT!

Susan Great review! I loved the comparison of cholesterol to flipping ahead.

message 10: by Tan (new)

Tan Kok yan Hi i'm doing a survey on this book (school work). Would you help me complete the survey? Pls&tx. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VW88TVH

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

It was amazing. Even had me in tears for the last half of the story