Kereesa's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Dec 03, 14

bookshelves: own, own-hardcovers, 2013, assassins, cuddle-plus, fairy-tales-retold, fangirling, fantasy-all-others, favorites, friendship, grrl-power, lives-up-to-the-hype, parodies-retellings, fairies, romance, witches-wizards-powers, young-adult, 2014
Recommended for: Fans of Snyder, Pierce, and Cashore
Read from November 25 to December 03, 2014 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Reread:
Totally not rereading this because I missed it and love it and can't live without it. No, I just can't remember what happens. Obviously. This series hasn't already broken my heart or anything. Psh no.

*sobs*

Yep, still awesome.

Original Review:

Not going to lie, I knew as soon as I bought this book I was going to love it. As soon as I started it I knew I was going to adore it. My love for the enovellas aside (which you should read if you haven't, since they provide a much better background to understanding the references Celaena makes through Throne of Glass), this book was exactly what I wanted at exactly the right time. It was like reading a Tamora Pierce novel, or a Kristin Cashore one, or a Maria V. Snyder one, just not by any of those authors, and with a different setting, but still totally awesome and addicting and wonderful and...

I'm starting to believe there's a ration between incoherence and my love for a novel. As one goes up, so does the other.

I loved Throne of Glass for a lot of reasons. Mostly because it was a novel that balanced all of its various elements, characters, and plots, but also because it was polished. There are no snags in Throne of Glass, everything flows nicely, and Maas sets up her world and the parts Celaena and the rest have to play in there very carefully. While I must admit I did predict some things (a few of which have yet to be confirmed), the novel never became predictable in a bad sense.

In other words I never ran around going "bad author suck at plot surprise!" Instead I ran around bragging to my cat and my friend Brenna who had read the book "I am so smart! I am so smart! SMRT! NO! Damn it..."

This is the part where my cat looked at me like I was an idiot. Then again she does that all the time, so..

Throne of Glass was also immensely good at being the first novel in a series, i.e. it presented a world while still leaving it open for mystery, it presented a larger fight/climax/bad guy plot that had yet to be fully realized, it presented characters that could still be developed, and it still left open so many things we have yet to find out.

It also didn't ruin the love triangle that I'm actually liking, mostly because it reminds me of the one between Alanna, Jonathan, and George in The Song of the Lioness Quartet, and there isn't this whole "I love you let's be together forever, but only after we kill the big baddie of the series." Instead there's more of a slow realization going on here, which is NICE, and makes me happier.

And yes for those who've actually read Throne of Glass I'm probably referring to one side of that triangle more than the other, but that's because I'm fully convinced the other side isn't going to last very long. The way Maas has everything set up, the way she's drawn Celaena's character, there is only one option for her in my opinion. Like Jon, Alanna, and George, we know after a while who truly belongs to our kick ass heroine.

And thank god she is kick ass, because I'm so tired of reading about "strong female heroine(s)" who turn out to be anything but. Celaena is good at her job, while still being vulnerable, and flawed. Her character in general is immensely fascinating, and I'm glad that even though Celaena is good at a multitude of things, Maas doesn't hesitate to make quite a few blocks shy of perfect. In other words, she may kick ass at the piano, but she still fumes like a five year old when she misses at pool. (Which makes me laugh more than I'd admit)

All in all, I loved Throne of Glass. It was addicting, I couldn't stop reading it (thank god it's the March break!), and it really was all that I expected and wanted. Happiness.

And now I have to wait like five months for the sequel.

MOTHERF********

4.5-5/5
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

11/30/2014 marked as: currently-reading
12/03/2014 marked as: read

Jessica Yes! I loved her too, how she was strong but still flawed, perfect

Kereesa TBH those are my favorite kinds of heroines. I really love when they're flawed, it just makes reading about their journey so much more interesting :)

I'm a big lover of mean heroines too, like Scarlet O'Hara or Tris from Divergent, and while Celaena was definitely much, much nicer, I got the same vibe from her. Maybe it's because she's so vain :P

Jessica Yeah, and makes them feel much more real and interesting. Lol I don't know if I'd call Tris mean but I get what you mean and with Celaena giving off a similar vibe

message 4: by Teghan (new) - added it

Teghan aaand SOLD. I just read the summary and was all 'ya, I should totally go read this' and then read your review and was sold.

Kereesa Excellent! I think you'll like it. It's just one of those feel-good-kickass-heroine novels that don't try to be anything but entertaining :D

Kelsey I love how your review don't spoil throne plot and if they do, you say it up front! You just made me super excited to read this! Question: I just bought this and Seraphina. Which should I read first?

Kelsey *reviews *the

Kereesa Thanks! I try to keep it spoiler free as much as possible. Those are the reviews I like to read, so it makes sense to emulate that :) I'd read Throne of Glass first, not because Seraphina is worse or anything, but because of the difference in pacing. ToG is very action packed and fun, while Seraphina is a much slower read. Both are fabulous, but that's how I'd read them.

Kelsey Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the advice :)