Anca 's Reviews > Purge

Purge by Sofi Oksanen

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: 2014, in-english
Read from December 20 to 27, 2014

I am looking at my 2014 shelf and I see that, although I'm an Eastern European citizen, only 20% of the books I've read this year concern life outside the English speaking world. Of course I have an explanation/excuse for this huge bias - what is translated, what I have access to, the format of Romanian ebooks (this!) and so on. But I will use the coming of the New Year as an impulse to get to know a larger part of the world through books - I will make my first new year literary resolution - read more Eastern European books (including Romanian).

Why am I telling you this? Well, this book was so good it makes me curious to know what other brilliant authors I'm overlooking.
I don't remember why I added it - 2 years ago according to Goodreads - and at whose recommendation but now I really want that information (I intend to make a note of that on here from now on and I guess that would be my second literary resolution :). I picked it up because I really wanted to finish the books I currently have on my kindle before I get any new ones on it. It was not the most felicitous choice of reading over the winter holidays - it's grim and its grayness looms over you and keeps you thinking about it even after you close the e-reader. (When is it the time to read depressing books, though?)

Aliide is a woman that skids over life, she lives each day waiting to get to the next one, to the next one and the next one that will get her to the one where all her dreams of reciprocated love and safe-being come true. Except these dreams won't come true - not in Communist Estonia. It's dangerous and sad to live life that way but I bet a lot of people do it. There are many other sad, shocking and disgusting things about her and her life. I was trying not to judge though - I always try that with characters under totalitarian regimes; I know it's a million times harder to do the right thing when your and your dear ones' lives are on the line.

Then Zara - it was harder to understand her and empathize with her although she definitely was more "worthy" of it. This is the first book in which I read so much about human trafficking and I don't have much to say about it except: scary, gross and depressing.

It had its drawbacks too: I particularly agree with this review and the fact that an outsider can't completely understand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purge.

12/20/2014 marked as: currently-reading
12/24/2014
24.0% "Time to get some history in - I'm a bit lost. Could have used some footnotes to save me all the googling."
12/27/2014 marked as: read