Kate Z's Reviews > The Swiss Family Robinson

The Swiss Family Robinson by Eliza Gatewood Warren

Apr 24, 12

Read in April, 2012

If you have an adventure loving emerging reader, this is the book for you!!!!!! This version of SFR is great for that demographic. It's easy enough to read for my 6 1/2 year old son (we alternate) and this version pares down the tale to the "exciting" bits ... this is like the book version of "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!" We usually read three chapters a night and on one night we had the following: rodeo type events with youngest boy riding a 4 month old buffalo calf, then the middle boy Francis gets stuck in quicksand, then a 14 foot boa constrictor "stalks" the SFR's camp and ultimately eats their donkey, then they men of the family go hunting and send their pet eagle to kill an ostrich ... they then bring back ostrich eggs and add ostriches to their menagerie. A few chapters later a male lion invades their camp and they shoot him, after which a lioness attacks - she is set upon by the family's pet dogs (one of which is killed and then laid to rest) and then .... well, you get the picture.

For OUR specific interests and purposes, this was a GREAT book. Low on gore but high on intense excitement, survival and exotic animals. Right up Will's alley. A big hit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swiss Family Robinson.