Kelli Lee's Reviews > The Vicious Deep

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova

May 09, 12

bookshelves: did-not-finish, contemporary-fantasy, young-adult

My first mermaid or merman or merfolk (?) book and I wasn't left with a good impression. Didn't even reach my 100 page marker where I decide if I'll continue reading a book I'm feeling iffy about. 81 pages in and I threw in the towel. Story started out just fine, but then. But then, it just got all shades of huh? What? Why are you, Tristan (MC), continually talking about your dick, your junk? And when the main character went all Splash, you know, the bathtub scene where Daryl Hannah's character exposes what she is unwillingly to Tom Hank's character? Okay, well when that surprise happens to Tristan, the shock of it all having a sparkly fin, all he can worry about is where he's supposed to put his dick when it comes to the ladies (his words). That's all you're concerned about? Sorry, but that was so crass. Which is strange coming from me because I'm so not prudish, not in the least. So yeah, I'm out. It didn't help that people appeared in the bathtub with him and a nearby sink? What? No explanation of how that happened. Unless I missed something. And then well, don't really care. Not the book for me. A real bummer, for I started out excited, so ready to tap into my childhood when I countlessly wished upon a star that I could be a mermaid swimming in a blue lagoon underneath the magic moon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vicious Deep.

05/06/2012
10.0% "My first mermaid book. And I'm loving it thus far."
05/06/2012
10.0% "Is this the story of Ariel and Prince Eric, sixteen years later? No, for real. MC's, Tristan mom has Viking red hair. Son Tristan looks nothing like his über wealthy dad. Only mom. Hmm. Still very enjoyable nonetheless."
05/07/2012
15.0% "No, but really, is Tristan's mom Ariel? Is this Once Upon a Time-esque. The red hair and its constant mentionings aren't helping. Back to reading."
05/08/2012
17.0% "Tristan totally had a Splash movie moment. Bathtub, breaking out in fins, merman tail, being caught, Daryl Hannah, Tom Hanks. Anyone?"
05/08/2012
17.0% "Seriously considering DNFing this book. Started out all fine and dandy. But now it's annoying me. And instead of wanting to read more, all it's making me crave is a pool as in me swimming in one stat. The constant quips aren't quip-y but irritating. And constant 'what about my junk' references. Really? Really? I'm cringing at the dialogue. Just sayin'."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leanna (new)

Leanna you should try the Monica Hughes one that takes place underwater as your SECOND merfolk-ish book. (Not really merfolk, but some people have developed gills... the title escapes me at the moment)

message 2: by Kelli (new) - added it

Kelli Lee Thanks, Leanna, for the book rec. looks really good. Sci-fi (moonboy) meets merfolk. I added it to my TBR list and knocked it up near the top. :)