Margaret's Reviews > When Bad Things Happen to Good People

When Bad Things Happen to Good People by Harold S. Kushner

Apr 24, 2012

Read in July, 2005

I read this book when I was greiving the death of my husband. I was hurt, angry and was all alone - feeling abandoned by everyone, including God. A therapist jotted down "When Bad Things Happen to Good People", and I bought and read the book. I was still angry and said, but I want to know, "why"!

It wasn't until several years later that I could accept Rabbi Kushner's message that bad things will happen to all of us at some time in our lives, but it's how we receive and process that event that will determine how we receive God and will experience life.

I'm not going to give the details of this book away, it's for you, the reader to uncover and process. I will say that even if you cannot relate to the book now, hold onto it and it's message. At some point in your life, in your darkest hour, you will reach for this book.

I am dating this review the date of my husband's death from cancer. Thank you Rabbi Kushner for helping me to find a place of acceptance and the ability to move on with my life. Praise God!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Bad Things Happen to Good People.

04/23/2016 marked as: read