Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > The Last Pope

The Last Pope by Luis Miguel Rocha

Sep 03, 08

bookshelves: fiction, religion, conspiracy_theory, suspense
Read in September, 2008

The book moved quickly with short chapters as one has come to expect from the genre. It also had some potentially interesting characters, but in the end it was a let-down for me.

The book was written and set in 2006. It opens with the murder of a clergyman, Monsignor Firenzi, in Rome. The murder is over documents that Firenzi came into possession of that were related to the death of Pope John Paul I.

Pope John Paul I died in 1978 within one month of becoming Pope and the reader soon learns it was a murder planned and executed by a secret organization, P2, fronted as a Masonic lodge, which roughly controlled the world and had resources of numerous spy agencies including the CIA.

Firenzi broke the documents into three parts and mailed them to three different people. The first two were murdered for them, the third had no idea what they were or why she received them.

The woman was Sarah Monteiro, a journalist, who was on holiday. She arrives home at about the time the P2 figures out where the 3rd package went.

She is saved by a man she has no choice but to trust, Rafael, and the two are then forced to solve the puzzle of what is going on.

The last third of the book left me wanting. I wanted to see some character development, and I thought the resolution was unbelievable even in the context of the story.

Personally, I don't like books that I take to be stand alone and end with a set-up for a sequel that isn't necessary or even takes away from the book. The last chapter did just that.

Ditto on the Epilogue and interview with the author. I get the marketing reasons for doing this, but the fiction needs to stand on its own and in this case it didn't.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Pope.