DebiReads's Reviews > Ten Things We Did

Ten Things We Did by Sarah Mlynowski

Apr 24, 12

Absent parents are a staple of YA lit. Lately, though, I've noticed that the absent parents are usually very understanding and caring people who are just an (inexplicably resisted) phone call or text away from a hug and helpfulness.

Other reviewers have noted immature and somewhat scandalous behavior on the part of the main characters. I beg to differ. Planning ahead to have intercourse, using protection, and trusting a partner of two years after sharing those plans in a conversation with mom does not display immaturity.

If the main character had been accustomed to household responsibilities (knowing how to do laundry, dishes, budgeting, or grocery shopping) many of her mistakes (learning experiences) could have been eliminated.

We learn from our mistakes, and we learn vicariously through literature. Moreover, the main characters of Ten Things own up to their mistakes and are accountable for their choices and actions.

Maybe it's because I feel like this story contains only believable shenanigans for nerdy kids, but I do not feel that the story was risque. I would not hesitate to recommend it to my sophomore and junior students for free-choice reading, with a warning that the narration is non-linear and might confuse weak readers at times.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Things We Did.