Katrina Passick Lumsden's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

1964146
Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: pleasantly-surprised
Read from April 24 to 26, 2012

Excellent story. Would have given it five stars, but Cassandra's inability to grasp the simplest of concepts irritated me a great deal.

The plot is well thought-out and almost masterfully executed. I say almost because there were a few loose ends...but the biggest problem is that those loose ends wind up lost because you're so busy trying to make sure you've kept everything else straight. While I enjoy the flashing backwards and forwards to different time periods to see through the eyes of three different women, that's not all the reader has to deal with. Occasionally you're thrown back into the past to see through the eyes of one of the other characters. I'm not a simpleton, my comprehension is quite high when it comes to reading, and I'm not saying I like it when books are dumbed down. I'm merely stating that this book sometimes seemed like it was all over the map.

My biggest complaint, however, is that I absolutely hate it when I'm smarter than the book I'm reading. I don't want to give anything away, but when Cassandra finally forms a theory, it made almost zero sense to me, and I was sitting there white-knuckling my Kindle and thinking, "What has she been smoking?" Then there's the "I wonder who her father was?" loose end that made me want to scream and hit someone. Gee, I don't know who it could possibly be....surely not the man that old guy told you he saw her with!

Aside from those complaints, I loved the book. Strange, right? I would think those things would ruin it for me completely, but they didn't, so I suppose that says something about the rest of the story. I wouldn't recommend it for people who like the fairytale HEA ending because some of it is just downright depressing, but I dig a little melancholy so for me, it's all good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.

04/24/2012
04/26/2012
85.0% "Much as I'm loving this story, I can't help but roll my eyes a bit at the fact that Cassandra hasn't figured this out yet. It's like, "Come on, piece it together...it's not that difficult..."

I hate it when characters I like act like morons."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

~☆ Alice♥♥ I also like a little melancholy so it might be good for me also. I just finished Forever and some griped about it being too sad but it was just right for me. I also like Norah Lofts for this reason.