Patricia's Reviews > From a Terrace in Prague

From a Terrace in Prague by Stephan Delbos
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From a Terrace in Prague.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin Oh this sounds really good!

Patricia It really is, Caitlin. Obsessively reading so much Czech and Polish poetry now. It is wonderful to get lost in it.

message 3: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin I LOVE Polish poetry. Have you read Anna Kamienska? She is one of my favorite poets. What Czech and Polish poetry books would you recommend?

Patricia Oh, Yes. I LOVE her too. I have read much of her poetry and work. I had English class with a glorious and compelling Polish/Czech woman prof. at 14. She was an enormous influence early on. I first read Kamienska, Milosz, Szymborska, Tsvetaeva, Akhmatova, Pushkin, Fischerova etc. at 14. As a result, at 15 I simultaneously attended The New School and took college classes in Eastern European Lit. among others. Over time, I have collected about twenty five books by AK. That includes a few of her translations from Czech, Hebrew, Latin, and French. Most of my books of her poetry are usual dual language editions. I also have quite a few rarer Polish editions. Several were gifts from my professor. They are very beautiful and I adore them although I know only the most minimal Polish. I am forever struggling with trying to read something of a poet's original poems as well as reading multiple translations of each poet/writer. I am continually trying to learn languages.(This may not be a good thing..) Of course, I am either quite bad or at best mediocre at all of them. This does not deter me or quell my obsession! I am currently loving the Polish poet, Adam Mickiewicz. This 6 Czech Poets in my 'reading'(Zbynek Hejda, V.Fischerova, K.Rudcenkova et al) is excellent as is the Prague book. The Love Poems in my reading is just a delightful book.

message 1: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin Wow, that is so interesting. I adore Kamienska. I've only read Astonishments and what the poetryfoundation.org has published from her notebooks. I really wish I could own more of Kamienska's books but there are just very few english translations of her work that I can get my hands on and it does upset me. I also love many german poets, like Ingeborg Bachmann and Rose Auslander. I'm so interested in female european poets, especially from France, Poland, and germany. Your professor sounds fascinating. I can understand why she had such an influence on you. I think it's wonderful that you try to learn languages. I wish I was fluent in many languages but I'm struggling through french at the moment. I will definitely write down all the poets you mention and look into their work.