Ging's Reviews > The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Apr 24, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read from August 28 to September 22, 2012

Unique, simple, honest, insightful and profoundly moving. There is something charming and extremely intimate about the way Charlie seems to speak directly to you in such a straightforward manner. Both his acute perception and his one-of-a-kind perspective really make you look back on your own life, like you've never looked before. This coming-of-age tale is resonant even for those who are faraway from their high school days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Quotes Ging Liked

Stephen Chbosky
“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”
Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Stephen Chbosky
“I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.”
Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

09/02/2012 page 40
17.0% ""We were infinite." I maybe too old for coming-of-age novels but this book hits me right at the spot. Reading Charlie's letters always put a huge smile on my face."
09/05/2012 page 78
33.0% "I'm not even halfway through and I'm crying already. Chbosky's prose is real yet so delicate, simple yet full of emotion. I especially love the Thanksgiving dinner."
09/05/2012 page 78
09/22/2012 page 149
64.0% "I didn't enjoy part three as much as the first two but the last page is just painfully honest. "I know that I brought this all on myself. I know I deserve this.""