Roshini's Reviews > The Wicked and the Just

The Wicked and the Just by J. Anderson Coats

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: damn-i-wish-i-could-write-like-this, netgalley
Read from April 24 to May 02, 2012

Wow, I'm not actually sure where I should begin. I think it's best to start by saying that J. Anderson Coats has inspired in me an interest in English-Welsh history.

Now back to the book. The setting is beautiful, if tumultuous, and features two very distinct voices - 2 teenage girls, one the 'servant', the other her 'mistress'. What starts out and pretty much carries on as genuine mistrust and animosity does reveal, to the readers at least, 2 very similar personalities, despite their differing backgrounds. While the book takes us back to events more than 700 years ago, it's sad to say that they are not a thing of the past. Injustices, dangerous political situations and oppression are very much alive in various parts of the world, even today. And as clearly depicted through the viewpoints of both girls, the tables can turn at any given moment.

I would have liked a more conclusive ending, but then again, I'll take what I can get. The author's note on the events that took place during those turbulent times is a testament to her thorough research and helped me better understand and imagine the setting and characters.

Now off to read about the events of Michaelmas 1294!

Thanks Netgalley!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wicked and the Just.

04/24/2012 page 25