Stringy's Reviews > Design to Thrive: Creating Social Networks and Online Communities That Last

Design to Thrive by Tharon Howard

1928100
Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: design-and-development, e-book

An excellent guide to building an online community instead of just another social network. The ebook edition could have done with a little more care in the formatting, though. The frequent sidebars and asides often blended into the main text.

I liked the RIBS model and it backs up my own experiences. It was great to see useful techniques developed and expanded from the general principles, and I was able to adapt them to my own situation. it was also refreshing to read about community building from someone who sees it as an intrinsically good idea, rather than just a get-rich-quick method.

It was a little bit dated in the details, but as the final chapter points out: technology changes but people don't. I'd love to see a revised edition to take some of the new web-based tools and methods into account, as they're qualitatively different to email lists in my opinion. But that's a minor quibble about a very useful resource, and anyone with half a brain will easily be able to figure it out themselves.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Design to Thrive.