Becky's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

bookshelves: epistolary, historical-fiction
Recommended to Becky by: Wendy Herlocker
Read in December, 2008

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terry (new)

Terry Becky,
You'll have to let me know how you enjoyed reading this book. I started reading the first chapter, and found the epistolary format of letters back and forth not to my liking. I put the book down.
It sounds like an interesting story, though.
Terry

Becky Hi Terry,
I wasn't sure about it either, but it quickly picks up, and now I find myself looking forward to the next letter. There are so many characters involved that it's hard to get bored like you might with just two correspondents. Also, all the correspondents have gotten me caught up in the historical aspect of the book: the German occupation of the Channel Islands.
My friend Wendy gave it five stars and said she "loved it." My friend Karen, who was dubious, too, gave it four stars (rare for her) and said she "loved the characters developed in this book." You can take a look at their other books to get an idea of their likes and dislikes
I'll try to write a real review when I'm done.
Becky

Becky Hi Kathy,

I think you'd enjoy the characters. Though there are some heart-wrenching moments, the letters strangely provide a bit of distance, which makes the book an easier read. And there is humor. I know you loved "84 Charing Cross Road," so I'm pretty sure you'll like this.

Becky