LaFleurBleue's Reviews > Saving Grace

Saving Grace by Julie Garwood

Apr 23, 2012

bookshelves: romance-histo, paperback
Read in October, 2012

I'm not a huge fan of Ms. Garwood since my first book from her The Bride, which I did not much like.
I knew I had to give her some more chance with some other of her best appreciated books. I had heard a lot about Gabriel MacBain and Johanna, so when I discovered this book at my favorite thrift bookstore, I did not hesitate, though I confess to be wary of a new disappointment.
I can say that I liked it very much, though this book has not earned a place on my absolute keepers' shelf. The Middle Age environment seemed quite realistic, the characters were all interesting. I especially liked that none of them had to play the jester, as my main criticism of The Bride especially came from what I considered fake and missed humor. None of it there. I also liked how the difficult topic of abuse was treated, seriously and not with pink glasses, but neither with a very negative outlook on life and people, making the tone quite perfect.
Overall the relationship between Gabriel and Johanna was definitely one of the most romantic ever and managed to completely convince me.
So why not 5 stars ? IMO it was a very nice book, however lacking a bit in the emotions rollercoaster department.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Grace.