Elizabeth's Reviews > Unraveled

Unraveled by Courtney Milan

Apr 23, 2012

bookshelves: historical-romance, favorite-heroes
Read from May 11 to 12, 2012

I've really enjoyed Milan's books so far and she is firmly on my shelf of favorite romance authors. Not only does she do well with plot and setting but she also is excellent with character development. One of my biggest pet peeves about the genera is when the hero/heroine can't make up their mind if they are in love and therefore act irrationally or hurtfully to the one the one they love. The other common pitfall seems to be someone (typically the heroine) who is either too clueless or stubborn to catch some major plot point and the reader is forced to grind through chapter after chapter of drivel to get to the point of the book or series when we've already figured it out 40 pages into the book. THANKFULLY, Mrs. Milan has mostly avoided these pitfalls thus far in her novels. Even when she uses character indecision, such as in Unclaimed, she uses a light enough had with it that I didn't want to bash my head against the wall like I have with some other authors.
Each of the Turner men fall into my list of favorite heroes. Yes, they all shared a troubled childhood and Smite took the worst of it, but they are just amazing men. I have an especially soft spot in my heart for Ash and Smite. The way they love their women and stand beside them is just so refreshing and sweet. For their part the women in this series rank pretty high on my list as well. I have to say that Miranda is my favorite heroine of the series because I so greatly appreciate her rationality. Yes, she's struggling to survive but she doesn't let herself get all twisted over circumstances, but rather looks to the heart of the matter and uses common sense to chart her path to resolution. Loved it, just loved it. Please go buy,read, and enjoy!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveled.